Sugar Free Coconut Cream Pie
This recipe is a classic dessert, but a spin-off with fewer calories, is sugar free, and is healthier overall. Toasting the coconut topping gives it a rich, nutty flavor and crunchy texture. It is very moist and rich! Everyone will love it and want more after the first bit.
Not everyone likes pumpkin pie. That’s why I’ve created this sugar free coconut cream pie recipe. Your dinner guests who don’t like pumpkin pie can indulge on this sugar free coconut cream pie. Think outside of the box this holiday season, think coconut!
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 disk Pate Brisee
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- ½ cup Lite&Sweet
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Lite&Sweet
- toasted coconut if desired
- Prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out pate brisee into a 12-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Trim edge to 1 inch, fold under, and pinch to seal. Crimp as desired. Prick bottom all over with a fork.
- Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Line with parchment, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake until edge is golden and set, about 25 minutes. Remove weights and parchment.
- Bake until bottom is golden and dry, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Filling– preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, mix 1/2 cup Lite&Sweet and cornstarch.
- In small bowl, beat half-and-half and egg yolks with whisk.
- Gradually add egg mixture to Lite&Sweet mixture; heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, 1 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on custard; let stand 30 minutes.
- Spoon custard into cooled baked shell. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes or until set.
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until foamy; gradually add 1/3 cup Lite&Sweet and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Best Gluten Free Desserts School is starting and we are getting into full swing, but right around the corner we have the last holiday to end summer. Labor Day weekend for our family is always a huge family and friends get together at our house. We BBQ outdoors and...
Gluten Free Banana Cream Pie As you get to know me, you will realize how much of a dessert person I am. I love it and it's my favorite things to make. The only problem is that too much of a good thing can be bad for you. That's why I choose a no sugar added sugar free...
No Sugar Added Peach Crumble Growing up I never had a staple dessert. There wasn’t anything like “mommas homemade ___” it was always a variety of things. For some reason I felt like I was missing out on something so I promised that when I had my family there would be...